Who needs a Business License
Every business, trade, profession, employment or providing goods and /or services within or partially within the Town (some exceptions apply). Any advertisement of business is proof of conducting business in Picture Butte.
If a business, doing business in Picture Butte, is located outside of Picture Butte, two different term licenses are available:
- Daily – valid until the end of the current day – Cost is $50.00
- Yearly – valid until the end of the current year – Cost is $200.00 (If a business is purchasing a license after September 30th, the cost is half the price)
The business license is mailed out once payment has been received.
Business License Applications:
The Motor Vehicle Industry Council of Fair Trading Act requires specific automotive businesses obtain a license from AMVIC before being issued a municipal business license.
What are the Exceptions
- A Charitable / Non-Profit Organization
- A business that Council, by resolution, may from time to time exempt
- A business carried on by the Government of the Province of Alberta or Canada
- A business exempted from requirements of municipal licensing by federal or provincial legislation.
- A business located in and possessing a valid license in any municipality signed to the Reciprocal Business License Agreement. (Barons, Coaldale, Magrath, Nobleford, Picture Butte, Raymond or Stirling).
RECIPROCAL BUSINESS LICENSE
The Town of Picture Butte is a signator to the Reciprocal Business License Memorandum of Understanding (RBLMU). This initiative, supported by your council, allows local companies to do business in a number of Southern Alberta Communities, without having to purchase a business license in each municipality.
Our council supports this initiative because we feel RBLMU:
- Gives our local businesses a competitive advantage
- Reduces the regulatory cost of doing business
- Opens up potential new markets
- Provides choice to our residents
As well, we think that co-operating with some of our surrounding communities to promote economic development is good business.
Participating communities include:
- Picture Butte
The two primary stipulations are that a business has a valid business license and be located in one or our RBLMU communities.
Business from other communities such as Lethbridge cannot purchase a municipality license and do business in each community. They must continue to purchase licenses in each community. As well, businesses from the signator communities must purchase their licenses from their own municipality.